Thursday, February 1, 2018

BRUSHES FOR BEGINNERS

Greetings my loves! I have gotten asked a lot in the past by different people what types of brushes do I use, and what are the basic brushes to create a flawless makeup look. I will start off by letting you know that when it comes to makeup brushes, quality is everything. You want to invest in brushes that will last and that will not take away from what you are doing. I have a few different brands for my own personal use (Mehron, BH Cosmetics and Real Techniques). As far as my kit for my clients, I am currently using Sigma, Real Techniques, Morphe, and Elf. I get a lot of compliments on how soft my brushes are on their faces and how they rarely shed. I am not telling you that you have to run out and get these particular brands, but they are good quality and affordable in my opinion. As far as other brands there are Crown, Royal Care Cosmetics, Bdellium Tools, and MAC to name a few. It all depends on what your preference is and what your budget will allow you to support. Now let's get down to the types of brushes that are essential for every beginner.


  1. For foundation application I love to use a Duo Fiber brush, the Elf flat top powder brush or a beauty blender. If you are looking for a more airbrushed look, I would suggest the Duo Fiber brush or beauty blender. I know that the blender is not a brush, but it is an excellent tool for applying foundation
  2. To groom your brows and blend them properly if you fill them in, you will need to invest in a brow brush. These can be picked up at a local beauty supply store or come with a basic brush set. The brush side should be used on brows, while the comb side should be used on the lashes after mascara application to avoid clumping and to help them spread out more.
  3. In order to apply your eyeshadow in the most effective way, I would suggest getting a good flat shadow brush. I do not like the way it looks when shadow is applied with sponge tip applicators, but that is just my opinion. Just be mindful about how much product that you pick up on the brush or applicator to avoid a lot of fallout in the under eye area.
  4. After you apply your shadow, you will need to blend it out to avoid having harsh lines of where the different colors were applied. In order to do this you will need a good blending brush. There are two different types that you can get. You have a basic blending brush and then you have the more fluffy blending brush which allows you to be able to achieve a more airbrushed finish to your eye makeup.
  5. A good powder brush or blush brush is definitely a must. These can be used to set your overall look with a good powder or to add a pop of color to your face with some blush.
  6. For those dark under eye circles, scarring or even to define a brow there is definitely the need for a good concealer brush. It is a must have and in my opinion a life saver. 
  7. A small powder brush should be used to achieve the subtle highlight on the cheekbones. The smaller brush works better because it allows you the ability to concentrate the product exactly where it should go. A good thing to remember about brushes is the more compact and sturdy the brush is, the more control you have to focus the application of your product to a certain place.
  8. Everyone wants the perfect winged liner on their lids. If you have a hard time attempting this with the products that come with the small, flimsy brushes then consider purchasing an eyeliner brush. It will give you the ability to have more control over the line you are creating, and you will love the results I'm sure of it. You can choose to go with the angled brush or the pointed brush. Either of them work well, it just depends on what your preference is.
There are other types of brushes out there that you can get, but I am simply listing the ones that I believe are truly essential for anyone just starting out. It all depends on the individual at the end of the day. I hope that this has been helpful for all of those seeking guidance in the direction of what to purchase. Remember to do your research on companies, different brush types and their uses. There are plenty of reviews out there that you can find to help you during this process as well. Just don't go and get a certain brush because someone said you should. They may think it's great, but you might not like it at all. Just because one person loves an item does not mean the next one will.

No comments:

Post a Comment